Aeroflot is Russia’s biggest carrier, leader of the Russian civil aviation industry, and one of the oldest airlines in the world. Aeroflot is based in Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport.
Rossiya is one of Russia’s largest carriers and the market leader in the North-West of the country. Based in Pulkovo (Saint Petersburg), Vnukovo (Moscow) and Rostov-on-Don airports. In addition to its scheduled flights, Rossiya operates charter flights.
Aurora is the Group’s carrier in the Russian Far East. It is based at Vladivostok, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and Khabarovsk airports and operates flights between the key population centres in the Far East and Eastern Siberia and flights from its base airports to remote cities and villages of the region.
Pobeda is the Group’s low-cost carrier, launched to further increase social mobility. Pobeda is based at Vnukovo airport in Moscow.
Operating and Financial Highlights
Passenger load factor
EBITDAR and EBITDAR margin
RUB BILLION AND %
EBITDA and EBITDA margin
RUB BILLION AND %
|The Group’s strength||Description & objective||2016 results|
|Business diversification based on a multi-brand strategy||Diversification of the Group’s activity by segment to maximise flexibility in any economic environment||Integration of regional companies (Donavia and Orenair) to create a single regional carrier in the mid-market price segment, Rossiya airline. Further development of Pobeda airline. In 2016, Pobeda carried 4.3 million passengers.|
|Presence in attractive market segments||Expansion in profitable segments and in markets with the long-term potential||Flights to new destinations in Kazakhstan launched in 2015 (about 0.5 million passengers carried). The frequency of flights to London increased (from 21 to 35 flights per week). Aeroflot airline’s passenger traffic on international routes increased by 10.6%.|
|Standardised high-quality product||Ensuring consistently high product quality to attract and retain passengers||Aeroflot was awarded 4-Star Airline status and recognised as the Best Airline in Eastern Europe for the fifth time by Skytrax World Airline Awards.|
|Balanced route network built around the hub at Sheremetyevo airport||Diversification of destinations to optimise presence in regions with different demand patterns and network development to promote synergies||The Group continued to improve route network quality: scheduled flights frequency grew by 4.8%, driving better flight connectivity. Route network expansion promotes transit traffic growth, including in the international transit segment: Aeroflot airline carried 3.7 million passengers in the segment.|
|Efficient financial management and consistent cost control||Cost optimisation to ensure competitive edge||RASK growth (+10.3%) outpacing CASK growth (+5.7%).|
Developing a multi-brand platform
The new reorganised Rossiya airline, formed from the integration of the Group’s three regional carriers (Rossiya, Donavia, and Orenair), launched flight operations.
Pobeda airline’s passenger traffic reached 4.3 million (+38.7% y-o-y).FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE STRATEGY SECTION
Improving the fare system
Aeroflot airline reduced fares for its own and subsidiaries’ outbound flights under its commercial management by 10%.
Aeroflot airline introduced an improved fare structure. The difference between fare categories was reduced significantly in the new flexible fare line, making extra services and privileges more affordable for passengers.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE SALES AND DISTRIBUTION SECTION
Continuous fleet upgrade
PJSC Aeroflot and United Aircraft Corporation announced the completion of the firm contract for the delivery of 30 Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft. In 2017 and 2018, the Company expects to receive 20 more SSJ100 aircraft.
During the year, the Company worked to accept aircraft previously operated by Transaero: a total of 12 Boeing 747 and Boeing 777 were accepted, as well as 6 Airbus A320Family aircraft from the bid book.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE AIRCRAFT FLEET SECTION
Passenger service and new technologies
Aeroflot lifted the restriction on the use of mobile phones and tablets during take-off and landing.
Aeroflot started cooperation with TripAdvisor. As an electronic feedback platform for air passengers, TripAdvisor enables Aeroflot to improve customer feedback handling and customer service.
Aeroflot reduced the cost of the Internet on-board (in-flight Wi-Fi) service and introduced a time-based rate. Internet connection is available on-board all the airline’s wide-body aircraft.
Aeroflot provided access to Apple Pay for its passengers.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SECTION
Developing corporate governance, investor relations and increasing transparency
Aeroflot launched an updated version of its website for shareholders and investors. The completely new IR section will offer information and resources for the investment community in a modern, convenient, and user-friendly format.
Aeroflot was assigned a 7+ corporate governance rating by the Russian Institute of Directors, based on the monitoring results.
Aeroflot held the Capital Markets Day, a meeting between the Company’s top managers and leading Russian and foreign investors and analysts.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE CORPORATE GOVERNANCE SECTION
Enhancing the IT infrastructure
Aeroflot launched its own online lost baggage tracking service based on the World Tracer international tracking system.
Aeroflot switched to the Aeroflot Bonus loyalty programme management system based on the innovative Oracle Siebel Loyalty Management platform.
Aeroflot airline and SAP completed the transition to the SAP HANA ERP platform to increase business process productivity.
Aeroflot and Technoserv IT company completed a new data centre based on Hewlett Packard Enterprise equipment. The project increased the capacity of the Company’s main data centre by 2.5 times.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SECTION
Route network development
Aeroflot launched scheduled flights to Valencia and Alicante (Spain) and to Lyon (France).
Aeroflot launched domestic flights on the new domestic route from Moscow to Syktyvkar.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE ROUTE NETWORK SECTION
Increasing social mobility
11 January and 28 September
Aeroflot’s CEO Vitaly Saveliev. They discussed the airline’s results and future plans, the situation in the air transportation market, including Transaero crisis resolution, the low-cost carrier development, and the flat fare programme aimed at improving transport connection with Russia’s remote regions and increasing mobility across Russia.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY SECTION
Aeroflot acted as the official carrier of Russia’s national basketball teams.
Aeroflot’s SU7150 special flight delivered Russia’s Olympic team from Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport to Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), that hosted 2016 Summer Olympic Games.FOR MORE DETAILS SEE
THE CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY SECTION
Events after the reporting period
7 February and 18 April 2017
The Aeroflot brand was recognised as the world’s most powerful brand in the airlines industry and the strongest brand in Russia by Brand Finance.
8 February 2017
Aeroflot won East Capital’s Best Growth Award.
7 March 2017
Fitch Ratings international agency affirmed Aeroflot’s rating at ‘B+’, Outlook Stable.
10 April 2017
Aeroflot was recognised as the Best Airline in Europe by users of ТripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel website.
11 April 2017
Aeroflot was recognised as the most popular foreign airline in China at the annual Flyer Award Ceremony 2017.
Industry Recognition and Awards
- Aeroflot airline was awarded four stars (out of five) by Skytrax (a global consulting company considered the world’s most influential assessor of airline and airport service quality) for its high-quality service. Aeroflot airline was recognised as the Best Airline in Eastern Europe by Skytrax World Airline Awards for the fifth time.
- For the fourth time in a row, Aeroflot won the Condé Nast Traveller Readers’ Choice Award as the Best Russian Airline.
- Aeroflot won the Readers’ Choice prize at Air Transport News Awards 2016. The airline’s CEO Vitaly Saveliev was named Leader of the Year.
- Aeroflot Group companies won in a number of categories of the Wings of Russia national airline award. Aeroflot was recognized as the Russian Airline of the Year — People’s Choice and won in the International Carriage category.
- Aeroflot won the Best.ru/Company of the Year national business award in the Transport category.
- Aeroflot airline’s in-flight entertainment system interface won silver at the International Design Awards in the Multimedia / Interface Design category.
- Aeroflot won the prestigious travel award, Business Traveller Russia and CIS, in the Best European Airline, Best Business Class on Medium-Haul Flights, and Best Airline in Russia and CIS categories.
- Aeroflot won the prestigious SAP Value Award in the IT sector, in the Expanding Horizons category, for the transition to a new level of business transformation.
- Aeroflot received the independent award Innovation Time 2016 in the Transport and Mechanical Engineering category.
- Once again, Aeroflot won the prestigious international Randstad Award as the most attractive Russian employer in the Transport and Logistics category.
- Aeroflot received the top rating (seven out of seven stars) as the safest airline in the world. The rating is compiled by Airlineratings.com, an independent rating website, on a regular basis.
- In the rating compiled by the international analytical portal anna.aero, Aeroflot Group was rated among top 20 global carriers by the number of new destinations, and among top 3 by new routes with the most frequent flights. Pobeda airline was rated No. 7 globally by the number of new routes launched.
- According to Routehappy, a search engine for comfortable flights, Aeroflot is among the top 10 airlines globally in terms of on-board Wi-Fi Internet access for passengers on long-haul flights.
- Aeroflot was rated eighth in the Top 10 Airlines in the World 2016 rating compiled by TripAdvisor based on passenger reviews.
- Aeroflot came second among the world’s best airlines and remains the best air carrier in Russia according to National Geographic Traveler.
- The low-cost carrier Pobeda was rated the third best Russian airline by National Geographic.